The Elms moorings are based adjacent to The Elms Retirement Village for the over 50’s which is owned and managed by the Kinch family of The John Kinch Group. The family moved to Torksey in the late 1970’s. Over a period of years the family have developed The Elms into an award winning retirement park homes park.
Along with this came a major overhaul of the adjacent moorings. This involved replacement of the old scaffold and wooden deck moorings with high quality floating pontoon moorings from Walcon Marine. Electric hook ups were installed along with access to water. In 2016 this facility was extended with a further stretch of moorings reaching right up to Torksey Lock basin and then additional improvements were made in 2019 with the provision of a private toilet, shower and waste disposal block within a stones throw of the moorings.
History of the Fossdyke
The Fossdyke canal is about 11 miles long and connects the River Witham to the River Trent. Originally believed to have been built by the Romans in around 120 AD, the Fossdyke has a history longer than most other canals which includes cargo transportation for almost 2000 years. The stone used to build Lincoln Cathedral in the 11th century was alleged to have travelled this very route. After the departure of the Roman army the maintenance on the Fossdyke decayed until the channel was refurbished in 1121, in the reign of Henry I.
Further improvements were made in 1671 including the installation of a lock at Torksey which is now a grade II listed structure. During the next few centuries it silted up several times, becoming almost unusable until it was dredged again but it was not until 1744 that a reliable channel was created and maintained. The canal was leased to the Great Northern Railway in 1846. Competition led to commercial decline, but agricultural produce was still being routinely carried down the Fossdyke from the River Trent right up to the 1970s with the last commercial operation being in 1972. In the present day the Fossdyke is still used greatly by pleasure craft creating excellent links between the waterways.